Monday, January 14, 2013

Funding.

How do you tell not just the world, but a small panel of critical individuals how great you truly are at what you do/are trying to do, and convince them to give you money?

I'll let you know when I figure it out!

All joking aside, it's incredibly hard as a modest individual to do just this.  At a certain point grant writing isn't about you, even, but convincing said adjudicators that you are simply capable of executing the proposed project to completion.  As someone with HUGE ideas, more often than not, how do I convey that no matter how epic the project, I will always find a way to complete it to the best of my ability?  How do I convey that sure, I'm sometimes quiet, usually awkward and silly, but I'm a creative problem solver and I don't ever give up?  Some days I feel like it's impossible to do this, and I should just apply from a perspective of someone I am not, someone serious and career-focused, but it feels so wrong.

The best successes I've had come from outside individuals taking me seriously, and putting faith in my ideas.  How do I reinvent the grant, the application, the interview.   Hmmmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment