Friday, August 10, 2012

Famous?

So, my Q&A with the Globe was circulating on the internet this morning... and I decided to go out and get a paper copy.  Flipped to the Arts Section, it obviously wasn't in the first page or two, but then I noticed this GINORMOUS photo of myself on the last forward-facing page, with a full-page article.  I had to close it almost immediately, like groundhog-seeing-shadow reaction.  But, then I opened it again, and read it wide-eyed.

Article here...

Obviously none of this was a surprise, I obviously sat with the reporter and spoke those words, but it is always funny to see yourself in print.

Every weekday of my years in college, I'd carve out 20 minutes to run to the Campus Center for lunch, crossing my fingers that there would still be a free copy of the NYT and the Globe.  I'd discard the bulk of the paper, yank the Arts section, and try to devour as much as I could before sprinting back to class.  Theatre reviews, lack of dance articles, full page ads for new stuff on Broadway... I read it all.  I was so familiar with this routine, the Arts sections of each paper, and there was always a familiar anonymity-- as I could spout off on Broadway-s who's-who, ground-breaking new performance art... obviously there was a great divide between these people, and me!

But today, there I was... running my mouth about ChoreoFest, and this Luminarium Dance that I love so much.  The interview isn't really about me, at all, but the words were just so familiar (duh, I said them..) and the way she punctuated and included a laugh or awkward wording was just me-- the text version!

It's an almost full-circle moment.  My freshman year at MHC I loaded up on both dance courses, and journalism/anthro (also bio/chem, but that's another story for another day).  My Women's Public Voices class was immensely enjoyable, slightly discouraging (journalists need to be concise?!), and eye-opening.  I remember touring through Time Magazine in New York City with Priscilla Painton (MHC alum- then deputy managing editor, now editor in chief at Simon & Schuster) wandering the halls of the high-rise building and wondering if journalism was something I could do- little bit different than being the copy editor of the high school paper... How much dance would I have to compromise, how would I get to report on what I wanted to... so many questions.  I never considered trying to be on the other side of the situation- the subject!  Still, there are days where I'd love to be able to balance what I do with reviewing local art, but I'd never want to take time away from/compromise all that I've worked for.

This is always what I've wanted to do, recognized for it or not... I've always wanted to be a creator. Always!  I am SO lucky to have reached my 'end-goal' so early in life, and now look how much time I have to better what I do, to learn, to grow, to expand with a partner that is equally inspired and motivated.  To be recognized for this, though, and to be gaining press and steam like we have been this entire summer?  Amazing.

1 comment:

  1. So happy that you realized your path and are fearlessly (along with Merli!) reshaping and shaking up the Boston Dance scene...some people just know what they gotta do and in the words of Lady G you were born this way!

    ReplyDelete