Tuesday, May 21, 2013

poetry schmoetry

I was on a recent kid poem kick for a random reason, and I've been filtering through a lot of Shel Silverstein. Obviously every kid is exposed to his poems through grade school, but I was never really interested in spending a lot of time reading his writings.  Anyways, found the selection below in my word wanderings, and I'm just not sure how I feel about it.  For kids, sure, but it seems overly obvious and 'life-advice-y' in a sense that if anyone questioned it, I don't think the questions could be answered. I don't like wasted words, I often question my choices and I value others' opinions as someone who often questions their choices/decisions.  
Dear Mr. Shel Silverstein,

Speaking from current and historic self-experience, what if your voice is really indecisive?  What if it has good intuition, but is vague beyond that?  I need directions to back up instincts sometimes, where do those come from, careful guesswork?  What if I like running my trickier thoughts by friends and people that every now and then just know better?  What if I am too cautious to follow these inner clues and I miss out?

This is either a waste of time or a needed procrastination device.  You decide.

1 comment: