Thursday, May 3, 2012

inadequacies

The English language is lacking in ways to use love.

Spanish, italian, arabic, greek (and of course many more languages I am less familiar with) all have multiple words for love, why do we just have one?  We have fondness and passion and desire and familiarity and hundreds of word-combos that express love, but it's just not the same.

I love each and every one of my friends.  It's not a want to marry them all, it's a warm, familiar, cozy feeling in my heart that endears me to each.  This makes me feel awkward, however, when I tell someone I absolutely love them, or say I love a friend in conversation with yet another person... Our culture doesn't seem to accept this.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha. Perhaps.

    And then others spending too much time shaking/quaking and not enough time spent chilling out and enjoying people?

    This comment made me sing Anything Goes (mostly in my head) all day solely for the 'since the puritans got a shock' line... weak connection at best.

    ReplyDelete