Wednesday, May 16, 2012

the process heats up!

We are finally getting to that magic point where I can sit on the couch, cross-legged, eyes-closed, Bose headphones on, and listen and listen and listen to music in attempt to score the new piece of choreography. Merli and I toss things around, we speak in really random descriptive non-English to figure out what we both have in our separate heads and how we merge it, and then I sit and layer and tweak, repeat repeat repeat.  Sometimes I get to go make awkward vocal percussion on the mic in my office or rock the midi keyboard and its affiliated noises, sometimes I go record the washer machine, sometimes I have to dig through sound websites to find what I need. I love creating sound!

Backtracking.

Of course it is nice to be motivated enough by a piece of music or something auditory to create choreography off of it.  I did this for my big senior piece in college, and for my more recent Luminarium work everything but blue, but there is something so satisfying about being able to score the choreography and make the sound in your head accompany the established movement.  On a technical level sound is nice because it is stable.  It stays right where you leave it, you can always undo what you did, and you can close your eyes and listen to it a thousand times on repeat to determine whether or not it works. (At the same time, I love choreographing because the process is the exact opposite of all of these reasons!)

Perhaps the happy compromise is to find an auditory seed of motivation (pre-movement) or at least a general sound/feel/song to put on your mental cork-board, and then go about your merry way creating movement, and then fill in the gaps and score it all out.  Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment