Friday, December 14, 2012

Regardless of someone's psychological state, the nation's opinions on gun laws, the want for revenge, the presence of metal detectors and security systems in schools, 20 little kids being killed is the devastating injustice of right now.  Changes need to be made, sure, but I am so sick of scanning my fb newsfeed to read personal opinions spoken from a soapbox about things that could've prevented this tragedy in their own professional opinions.  Have those opinions, keep them well thought out in your head, maybe share them down the road, but while families are grieving and wondering how to go on with life after they watched their kindergartner walk through classroom doors they'd never come out of again...

It was really hard to today to watch the news for an hour and then go to work.  What do I do, at my job... It basically boils down to keeping my school-age kids safe until they go home.  What happens when some crazily random impossible event happens and takes that ability away from you?  What happens when you can't do the one important task your work demands?  I never think my job is important until I realize what is at stake.  My major task isn't making sure the bottom line shows enough profit...

None of my work-kids knew of the shooting today.  Schools try to isolate the kids from news, nowadays, to let them learn it from their parents and calm down possible chaos.  We weren't supposed to break the news to them unless they asked about it, so I just sat in silence and thought about it.  All of the parents knew, and I made knowing eye contact with everyone picking up their child, wondering how the heck they would go home and break this news and explain it to their kids.  I guess I'll find out on Monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment