Tuesday, April 16, 2013

running running

Went on my first outdoor run of the year today, it seemed somewhat fitting.  I got out of work at 2:30, home at pretty much 2:50, 24 hours after the Marathon Bombings yesterday and still the news was solely focused on this nasty event.  I'm not a serious/good runner by any means (today I did 4 miles of super uphill terrain with a walking warm-up in 45 minutes or so), but what I love about running is it is the ONLY time I can shut down my mind, or hold a single focus.  It's a beautiful thing, as an individual with an incredibly explosive brain full of thoughts.

In any case (I've gone on and on about my running struggles and endeavors) it was a really intense run as I finally found myself alone with thoughts and feelings about the bombing tragedy.  The most pressing thought is more of a curiosity of who on earth could conceive, conceptualize and carry out such a mammoth violent act.  Everyone local to this area, I am sure, can create a list of people that were affected somehow.  I, alone, had friends, family and acquaintances running the race, with friends spectating as close as 50 ft to the explosions, friends living very close to that area, and my sister/Christos in class a few blocks away.  If we can all make such a list, it doesn't matter if it 'only killed three people' (yes... I heard that statement a few times today), since the event obviously had a huge impact on a larger scale.

Anyways, I'll be interested to watch the news in coming days.  Not so much to give this sicko or group of them more glory and fuel the fire, but to see how Boston solves this mystery, and what we deem as justice.  I'm a pretty live-and-let-live person, but how will a justice system and an entire city find peace?

No comments:

Post a Comment